Tharagay House offers a step-down programme for those clients that need longer care to facilitate the transition from early recovery to long-term change. Our programme is unique in that it caters for residents who are needing direction and provides some free time for those looking at reintegrating into society. We provide the opportunity to practise new skills in a safe and nurturing environment.
Tharagay House has been in existence for over 20 years, transitioning from its humble beginnings as a 6-bed facility to one of the leading experts in extended treatment care. Our programme continues to evolve to offer the best affordable care and to be the benchmark extended treatment facility in South Africa.
Tharagay House is registered with the South African Board of Healthcare Funders and the Department of Social Services.
The programme is designed to encourage and guide residents to find a productive, healthy and balanced lifestyle. The programme is compulsory for residents. However, should a resident be looking for work or studies towards the end of their treatment process, they may request some time off programme at the discretion of the counselling team. Financial management, life skills and interpersonal relationship development form an important part of the process, as well as a huge emphasis on relapse prevention.
The programme requires a continued commitment to the 12 Step recovery model through:
- Attendance of at least 4 Fellowship meetings per week
- Regular contact with a sponsor
- Weekly goal-setting groups
- Performance of regular service work
- Continued step work
Our in-house programme includes:
- Therapeutic duties & cooking
- Weekly individual sessions with a counsellor
- Peer-driven serenity groups
- 2 Weekly community groups
- 3 Weekly therapy groups
- 2 Weekly ‘powerlessness and damages’ group
- An interactive Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) lecture
- A weekly relapse prevention group
- A weekly goal setting group
- A weekly step discussion group
- A weekly creative/spiritual group
- A weekly music/spiritual group
- Weekly attendance of volunteer work
- Family conjoints where necessary
- Daily Step work and written work
- Community bonding time
15a Gibson Road, Kenilworth
Cape Town South Africa