Tharagay Addiction Services had its beginnings in 1995, which means we are one of the first private sector treatment services in Cape Town. Now, with more than 20 years of treatment experience, Tharagay can still offer affordable, effective treatment. We specialize in alcohol and drug addiction, and competently manage all the process addictions, including gambling addiction, eating disorders and sex addiction. We aim to help you rediscover optimal functioning in all the vital areas of your life.
Tharagay Manor offers a 28 day residential treatment programme. Our treatment approach remains grounded in an adapted Minnesota Model, as addiction treatment has become more sophisticated over the years. We are proudly abstinence-based and will aim to improve quality of your life, using the principles of the 12 Step philosophies as a guideline. There are many new quirky treatment modalities these days on the market (yes, addiction treatment has become a marketplace) offered by various snake oil salesmen but our treatment model has stood the test of time for more than 70 years. Within this context and based on an on-going assessment of each client’s unique needs, a multi-modal treatment plan is devised to ensure that we address all your relevant issues, including trauma, dysfunction, abuse and abandonment.
The therapy programme includes daily group based therapy of various types (interactive, discussion and focus groups), educational lectures and regular individual counselling sessions. In addition, we arrange family sessions (via Skype if family members are not readily accessible), encourage 12 Step participation and include some written work exercises.
- Exercise is an important component in establishing a healthy lifestyle. Tharagay Manor supplies each client with a free temporary gym membership. Clients attend gym three times weekly as part of the treatment programme and Tharagay Manor provides transport for this purpose.
- A weekly outing to a neighbourhood shop, to purchase necessities, helps clients learn to budget and manage their finances.
- Community outings take place each Saturday, allowing clients to experience various parts of Cape Town and to be introduced to and enjoy sober recreational activities.
- The Administration team manages all administrative duties, including client pocket money and finances.
- The dedicated Chef provides clients with 3 nutritious meals per day, as well as snacks between meals.
- Cleaning staff take care of general cleaning and laundry, bedding and towels, which are supplied. An in-house laundry service for client’s personal laundry is offered at a nominal expense. Clients are responsible for the general tidiness of their rooms and the house.
- There is an after-hours supervisory presence at all times.
The Treatment Environment
- The programme is compulsory, as are 12 Step Meetings. We require that residents remain accountable, so they are not allowed to leave the premises without permission or informing staff.
- Access to cell phones/laptops/tablets/House computer are not permitted for the first 7 days of treatment. However this period can be extended at the discretion of the counselling team. This is to assist clients to focus on their treatment and the issues that they need to address. Thereafter, devices may only to be used at certain times. When using cell phones, clients are to be mindful that Tharagay Manor is in a residential area. Laptops and tablets must be used in communal areas and not in bedrooms.
- Television is allowed at set times. DVDs or music that is euphoric in nature is not permitted.
- Tharagay Manor staff reserves the right to limit television, telephone, and laptop use, should this become necessary.
- Credit Cards, wallets, air tickets, passports and other valuables are to be handed in on arrival and are kept in a safe. These items can only be accessed with prior permission of your counsellors.
- Residents may only leave the premises at certain times and under certain conditions.
- Clients are limited to a maximum of R1000 pocket money per week and are expected to budget this money to cover expenses such as toiletries, any extra items such as additional snacks, and the costs of outings.
- Pocket Money is the responsibility of the client and is distributed to each client weekly. Money can be transferred in advance to Tharagay Manor which the administrative staff will manage on the client’s behalf. If a client manages their own pocket money, they must please ensure that their bank card is activated to withdraw funds in a foreign country and that there are sufficient funds to cover pocket money for the full duration of treatment.
- Tharagay Manor provides transport to selected 12 Step meetings, shopping and the gym according to the programme schedule. Clients will personally be responsible for payment of any other transport costs incurred beyond these programme activities.
- A reasonable command of English is required for completion of the treatment programme. Although we endeavour to make every effort to accommodate non-English first language clients, the majority of the programme (activities and resources) is in English.
What to Bring
- A bank card to access funds for pocket money or other expenses (card must be activated to withdraw money in South Africa)
- Climate appropriate clothing for the season (Summer is from November to April, and winter is from June to August)
- Comfortable walking shoes for physical activities
- Swimming costume
- An extra towel (for gym)
- Sufficient medications as prescribed by the client’s doctor or psychiatrist
At Tharagay Manor residents are introduced to a personal, comprehensive and integrated Recovery Programme. The aim is for our clients to learn how to achieve an optimal measure of health, meaning and joy in all vital areas of their lives (physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, social and environmental). The outcome is not merely to attain sobriety but through changes in thinking, behaving and relating, to develop a balanced and healthy recovery lifestyle which gives one the capacity to achieve a full potential as a human beings and minimise the risk of relapse.
WE LOOK FORWARD TO WELCOMING YOU AT THARAGAY MANOR
Corner of Tiverton Rd & Morton Roads
Plumstead, Cape Town, 7801